“I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. The hired hand is not the shepherd and does not own the sheep. So when he sees the wolf coming, he abandons the sheep and runs away. Then the wolf attacks the flock and scatters it. The man runs away because he is a hired hand and cares nothing for the sheep.” John 10
Ezekiel 34 lists 10 promises every sheep can count on. God, the good shepherd, lists 10 traits of His pastorate:
- I will rescue them from every place where they were scattered
when it was cloudy and dark.
- I will lead them out from among the peoples
and gather them from the foreign lands;
- I will bring them back to their own country
and pasture them upon the mountains of Israel
in the land’s ravines and all its inhabited places.
- In good pastures will I pasture them, and on the mountain heights of Israel
shall be their grazing ground. There they shall lie down on good grazing ground,
and in rich pastures shall they be pastured on the mountains of Israel. I myself will pasture my sheep;
- I myself will give them rest, says the Lord GOD.
- The lost I will seek out,
- the strayed I will bring back,
- the injured I will bind up,
- the sick I will heal,
- but the sleek and the strong I will destroy, shepherding them rightly
There is one more promise. It’s in Jeremiah 3:15: “And I will give you pastors according to mine heart, which shall feed you with knowledge and understanding.”