Today’s Old Testament reading (Exodus 3:1-6; 9-12) lists 10 characteristics of Moses.
- Moses was a Shepherd. Compared to being Pharoah’s adopted son, a shepherd was a major demotion. Exodus 3: 1 states: “Moses was tending the flock of his father-in-law Jethro, the priest of Midian.”
- Moses was a Follower Moses’ sheep were not even his sheep. They belonged to his father-in-law Jethro, the priest of Midian. Instead of being second in line to the Egyptian throne, Moses was 2nd in line in the shepherd business.
- Moses was a Leader Exodus 3 indicates, Moses was “leading the flock across the desert.” If you are in the desert vocationally, don’t forget to do what God equipped you to do. Moses led the dumbest creatures in his world.
- Moses was Open to Surprises (verse 3). Even at 80 years, Moses was still curious. Verse 3 adds: “Moses came to Horeb, the mountain of God. There an angel of the LORD appeared to him in fire flaming out of a bush. As he looked on, he was surprised to see that the bush though on fire, was not consumed.”
- Moses Chose to Act (verse 4) . “So Moses decided, “I must go over to look at this remarkable sight, and see why the bush is not burned.” As a member of Pharaoh’s court, he knew the difference between Pharaoh’s magicians and what he was witnessing now.
- Moses Heard God’s voice (verse 5). “When the LORD saw him coming over to look at it more closely, God called out to him from the bush, “Moses! Moses!” He answered, “Here I am.” While this was the first time Moses heard God’s voice, God knew the name of Moses. God was guiding His servant to the promised land that began in a bush.
- Moses Obeys God (verse 6). God said, “Come no nearer! Remove the sandals from your feet, for the place where you stand is holy ground. Recognizing the holiness of God is pure grace for Moses should have reasoned, “This must be the hot sun.”
- Moses Understands His place in the Family Tree (verse 7). God says, “I am the God of your father,” he continued, “the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, the God of Jacob.” Unless you were Adam and Eve, you have spiritual moms and dads. God says to you, “I am the God of your ancestor _______ who worships me today.”
- Moses is God’s Shepherd. Exodus states: “The cry of the children of Israel has reached me, and I have truly noted that the Egyptians are oppressing them. Come, now! I will send you to Pharaoh to lead my people, the children of Israel, out of Egypt.” Before God’s call, Moses’ boss was Jethro but now Moses is God’s shepherd.
- Moses is Human. But Moses said to God, “Who am I that I should go to Pharaoh
and lead the children of Israel out of Egypt?” He answered, “I will be with you;
and this shall be your proof that it is I who have sent you: when you bring my people out of Egypt, you will worship God on this very mountain.” When God;s people pray, God raises a Moses and gives him or her the toolbox to do God’s bidding.