G. K. Chesterton: “Christianity has not been tried and found wanting; it has been found difficult and not tried. “
Jesus offers Christianity to anybody. Jesus doesn’t care about your past. The only question is if you have His heart to obey His “10 whoevers:”
- Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me, and
- Whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; and
- Whoever does not take up his cross and follow after me is not worthy of me.
- Whoever finds his life will lose it, and
- whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.
- Whoever receives you receives me, and
- Whoever receives me receives the one who sent me.
- Whoever receives a prophet because he is a prophet will receive a prophet’s reward, and
- Whoever receives a righteous man because he is righteous will receive a righteous man’s reward.
- Whoever gives only a cup of cold water to one of these little ones to drink because he is a disciple– amen, I say to you, he will surely not lose his reward.
Where do you get the power to fulfill Jesus’ 10 whoever’s?
Today’s Psalm offers us a clue: “Had not the LORD been with us when men rose up against us, they would have swallowed us alive….We were rescued like a bird
from the fowler’s’ snare; Broken was the snare, and we were freed. Our help is in the name of the LORD, who made heaven and earth.”
Everything in the Christian life comes down to a NAME. Christian is really simple. It’s like Moses said to the Jews: “For this command that I enjoin on you today is not too mysterious and remote for you. It is not up in the sky, that you should say, ‘Who will go up in the sky to get it for us and tell us of it, that we may carry it out?’ Nor is it across the sea, that you should say, ‘Who will cross the sea to get it for us and tell us of it, that we may carry it out?’ No, it is something very near to you, already in your mouths and in your hearts; you have only to carry it out” (cf. Deut. 30).
Our culture is possessed by a legion of demons. We have thousands of saviors with a rainbow of beliefs. It declares ANYONE can save.
Christianity teaches ANYONE can believe AND it’s power is in the name of Jesus.