Ever wondered how grace and works operate in real life?
In Genesis 17:3-9, we see five parts grace to one part works:
PART ONE: The Grace of God’s Will
When Abram prostrated himself, God spoke to him: “My covenant with you is this:
you are to become the father of a host of nations.
- I am making you the father of a host of nations.
- I will render you exceedingly fertile;
- I will make nations of you; kings shall stem from you.
- I will maintain my covenant with you and your descendants after you throughout the ages as an everlasting pact, to be your God and the God of your descendants after you.
- I will give to you and to your descendants after you the land in which you are now staying,
PART TWO: Abraham’s WORK
God also said to Abraham:”On your part, you and your descendants after you
must keep my covenant throughout the ages.”
Jesus said to the Jews: “Amen, amen, I say to you, whoever keeps my word will never see death.” (John 8:51).” “For faith, unless hope and charity be added thereto, neither unites man perfectly with Christ, nor makes him a living member of His body. For which reason it is most truly said, that Faith without works is dead and profitless.” (Council of Trent)
God speaks a word but its up to us to respond. Faith and works is all about balance where God takes the lead.