“Kindness and truth shall meet; justice and peace shall kiss. Truth shall spring out of the earth, and justice shall look down from heaven.” Ps 85
You could say I am a lifer. My membership in the Grand Old Party has remained a constant since 1976. Why? Pete Winn offers a great example:
In 2012, the GOP mentioned God 12 times, in 10 separate phrases:
- “. . .Reaffirm that our rights come from God, are protected by government, and that the only just government is one that truly governs with the consent of the governed. . .”
- “. . .May God continue to shed his grace on the United States of America. . .”
- “. . .We offer our Republican vision of a free people using their God-given talents. . .”
- “. . .God-given individual rights. . .”
- “. . .the primary role of government is to protect the God-given, inalienable, inherent rights of its citizens. . .”
- “. . .defend the law-abiding citizen’s God-given right of self-defense. . .”
- “. . .taking advantage of all our American God-given resources. . .”
- “. . .God-given natural resources. . .”
- “. . .We condemn decisions by activist judges to deny children the opportunity to say the Pledge of Allegiance in its entirety, including “Under God” in public schools. . .”
- “. . .the God-given natural beauty and resources of our country. . .”
It’s fashionable to dismiss Donald Trump as a pompous windbag. But what other United States President chooses to speak to the Right to Life Movement from the Rose Garden?
Jesus asks His children to Jesus:
“Gird your loins and light your lamps and be like servants who await their master’s return from a wedding, ready to open immediately when he comes and knocks.
Blessed are those servants whom the master finds vigilant on his arrival.”
How do you gird your lamps? By voting for the party that most represents God. (cf. The Gospel Coalition great summary. )
It’s great that we have more jobs today. But for me, the bottom line is this, the GOP is pro-God.
It is The LORD himself will give his benefits; our land shall yield its increase.
Justice shall walk before him, and salvation, along the way of his steps.