34 Dusty Avenue
Job Objective: A highly competent Revenue Collector where outstanding bottom-line personality with complete devotion to Caesar.
Highlights of Qualifications:
• Valuable experience in collection of revenue for government industry
• Sound knowledge of Roman tax collection laws, regulations and policies
• Profound knowledge Roman Collection Practices Act
• Fluent in Aramaic and Greek
• Exceptional ability to resolve all collection activities targeting those with low income
• Outstanding ability to interpret complex laws in view of the Mission statement for Rome
• Adjusted standards to facilitate increased expectations
• Developed display containers allowing government to collect more with decreased output
• Ability to understand and interpret complex laws
• Proficient with scales, measurements
The tax collector Matthew’s fictional resume is not much different from our attempt to sacrifice the kingdom of God for a piece of an earthly empire. We find ourselves cutting corners and choosing creative ethical approaches to get that extra bonus and then Jesus comes to our office and steals our heart.
Jesus choose Matthew because understand the future of the Church in the centuries to follow. He chose the despicable, the ordinary and those who were political crazies so that we might do more than sit on a pew.
What did Matthew do after Pentecost? Scripture does not say but many believe he died in Ethiopia sharing the good news.
What is the good news but “good news?” Matthew giving drink to thirsty souls; helping those who are sick, do not have homes, in jail or in need of burial. When Jesus found Matthew, He served God’s decrees not the decrees of Rome.
Instead of worrying about the truth according to Caesar, worry about the way, the truth and the life.