“My son, keep your father’s commandment,
and forsake not your mother’s teaching.” Proverbs 6:20
There are many ways to rephrase Proverbs 6:20 including:
* Christians must breathe with “both lungs.”
* Two ways to look at every issue.
* Men are from Mars Women are from Venus.
* Eastern Christians view life in a much different way than Western Christians.
* Democrats and Republicans see the world differently.
Jesus asks us to “to take care how you hear.” In other words, “make sure your hearing isn’t onesided.”
How do you know if you are listening in the confines of your little “lampstand?” Our scripture readings suggest at least two ways:
* You only experience joy and no tears. Good fortune is reserved for people like me instead of all people.
* You believe God speaks to only King David and not to the King Cyrus’ the world.
Jesus is the ONLY door to the many rooms of His house. How many rooms am I familiar with?
Who is right when it comes to civil rights issues? Abraham Lincoln says it well, “Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God’s side, for God is always right.”