“She should have died hereafter;
There would have been a time for such a word.
Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day
To the last syllable of recorded time,
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more: it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing. William Shakespeare, Macbeth
My week’s vacation was told by an idiot signifying nothing.
The plan was to fix, repair and remodel the family home. Mom and Dad bought the house almost 60 years ago. Now, with dad in the grave almost forty years, it was time for mom to move to a smaller place.
93 year old women are not equipped to live by themselves in a 1 1/2 story house. The curtains were filthy. 40 year old rugs smelled like death. My sisters, who lived nearby, avoided the downstairs. The basement wasn’t in need of remodeling. It was in need of re-mold-ing. Stephen King could have used it as the setting for his next tale of horror.
On a good day, the house might bring 100,000. Now, in disrepair, with the foundation crumbling, the plumbing and electricity no longer viable, we were in danger of losing money.
Oh, the drama.
Call HGTV, we have a new pilot.
Someone in the crowd said to Him, “Teacher, tell my brother to divide the family inheritance with me.” 14 But He said to him, “Man, who appointed Me a judge or arbitrator over you?” 15 Then He said to them, “Beware, and be on your guard against every form of greed; for not even when one has an abundance does his life consist of his possessions.”
Jesus also taught:
- Matthew 5:5 – “Blessed are the gentle, for they shall inherit the earth.
- Matthew 19:29 – “And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or farms for My name’s sake, will receive many times as much, and will inherit eternal life.
- Matthew 25:34 – “Then the King will say to those on His right, `Come, you who are blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world.
The Apostle Paul said this about inheritance: 1 Corinthians 6:9-10 – Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals, nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, will inherit the kingdom of God.
The inheritance that matters is found IN the next life:
- Ephesians 1:11 – also we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to His purpose who works all things after the counsel of His will,
- Ephesians 1:14 – who is given as a pledge of our inheritance, with a view to the redemption of God’s own possession, to the praise of His glory.
- Ephesians 1:18 – I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened, so that you will know what is the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints,
- Ephesians 5:5 – For this you know with certainty, that no immoral or impure person or covetous man, who is an idolater, has an inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God. instead; for you were called for the very purpose that you might inherit a blessing.
Charles Sheldon, In His Steps is a best-selling religious fiction novel written by Charles Monroe Sheldon. First published in 1896, the book has sold more than 30,000,000 copies, and ranks as one of the best-selling books of all time. The full title of the book is In His Steps: What Would Jesus Do?.
Someone should write a book, “What would Joseph Do.”Joseph, the step father of Jesus, knew a thing or two about houses. He is the saint I turn to for all things related to work and houses.